If you could imagine the cereal, Crunchy Nut Cornflakes, as a bar, this would be it. Super simple to make but so irresistibly delicious! Toasting the butter in this recipe really adds to the flavour and makes it so much nuttier! I’ve used roasted hazelnuts in this recipe but you could use any nut of your choice. Even omit the nuts if you prefer. This is a great recipe to do with kids, as long as there is some adult supervision for the butter part! These are perfect for a mid morning snack or even a little breakfast treat!
You will need a 7″x11″ tin
125g Light Brown Sugar
3 tbsp. Honey
100g Oats (TopTip: use coarser oats to give a chunkier texture and visually more appealing!)
50g Roasted and Chopped Hazelnuts
1 tsp. Cinnamon
1 tsp. Sea Salt
- Pre heat the oven to 170 degrees. Line the tin with baking parchment.
- In a small pan, place the butter on a medium heat. Melt and then bring to the boil until it starts to go golden brown and it smells nutty. (It starts to smell amazing basically)
- Once the butter is ready, add the honey and sugar and stir to melt the other ingredients. Be careful as the butter is very hot at this stage.
- Weigh all the other ingredients into another bowl. Pour the hot mixture into the bowl and stir until everything is mixed together.
- Pour it all into the tin, pressing the mixture into all the sides and it is smooth and level.
- Place into the oven and bake for about 15-20 minutes. The longer you bake it, the harder it will be once it has cooled down.
- Leave to cool completely before cutting into 20 squares.