It’s Plum Season!
And one flavour that I absolutely love with plums is almond. The tartness of the plums and the nuttiness of the almonds just work so well together and in this loaf cake.. a match made in heaven!!
This recipe is honestly so easy to make, all you need to do is mix all the ingredients together and bake. This makes it a perfect quick treat to make when you are craving something sweet. Plus it stays moist for ages so you can have it for a snack any time, I can’t recommend it enough to make this recipe!!
SO WHAT INGREDIENTS DO I NEED?
- Self Raising Flour
- Ground Almonds
- Caster Sugar
- Apricot Jam
If you don’t have plums, there are many different fruits you can use instead! If you still want to stay in season. I recommend using apples or pears for this recipe. They work so well and all you need to do is a straight switch from plums. You could also go summery with peaches, which is one of my faves, as the sweetness of the peaches complement the almonds so well. This recipe is so versatile it can be used all year round, with whichever fruit is in season! How great is that?
Plum and Almond Loaf Cake
For the Sponge
- 150 grams Self Raising Flour
- 100 grams Ground Almonds
- 175 grams Unsalted Butter softened and at room temperature
- 150 grams Caster Sugar
- 3 Eggs medium
- 1 tsp. Vanilla Extract
- 300 grams Plums
For the topping
- 15 grams Flaked Almonds Toasted
- 3 Plums Ripe
- 6 tbsp Apricot Jam
For the Sponge
- Preheat the Oven to 160 degrees celsius. Grease and line a 1lt loaf tin with butter and baking paper.
- Place all the ingredients together in a bowl and beat together until fluffy and completely incorporated.
- Chop the plums in half, remove the stone and cut into quarters. Fold into the mix and pour into the lined loaf tin.
- Bake in the oven for 35-45 minutes until golden brown and when the skewer is inserted it comes out clean. Leave to cool completely.
- Brush the top of the cake with the apricot jam. Slice the plums into thin slices and arrange on top of the cake. Sprinkle with the toasted almonds.
- Store in an airtight container until you are ready to serve! Enjoy!!