In difficult times like what it happening right now, It is hard to know what to think or do. Due to COVID-19 I’ve found myself completely wondering how on earth I’m going to fill my time productively as well as enjoying myself all in one. So I’ve ultimately decided that Baking is one of those things that combines all of that whilst producing something yummy and everyone can enjoy. So I’ve created some recipes that are using mainly store cupboard ingredients or not too difficult to source so that despite hardship, we can still have something sweet!
This recipe is my sea salt caramel brownies. It is the definition of indulgent at it’s finest… make sure to not over cook these brownies as the fudgier the better! These brownies freeze really well so in times where batch cooking is a smart move, why not have a stash of these in your freezer so that you are never short of something sweet and chocolatey!
HOW DO I GET THE BEST BROWNIES?
- Always bake the brownies, a little less than you think! It’s better for them to be under baked than over baked!
- Use a good quality chocolate! I can’t stress this enough! This is the main flavour of the brownie so it needs to be the best quality.
- Sea salt, sea salt, sea salt!! Trust me this will make your brownies the best ever!
- To get nice and even squares, chill the brownies once they are out of the oven. Then use a clean hot knife to slice it into neat squares.
CUTS INTO 20 SQUARES
You will need a 23cm square tin.
For the Caramel:
125g Caster Sugar
70g Double Cream, warmed slightly
1 tsp. Sea Salt
For the Brownie:
333g Dark Chocolate
70g Golden Syrup
150g Dark Brown Sugar
185g Caster Sugar
2 tsp. Sea Salt
85g Plain Flour
- Firstly, let’s make the Caramel. Place the sugar and salt in a small pan. Place on a medium heat and leave until the sugar starts to melt, stirring from time to time. until it reached a golden brown colour.
- Slowly add the warmed cream into the sugar, stirring until it is all combined and starts to look like a smooth, glossy caramel.
- Now add the butter in small chunks. Use a spatula to mix everything together and a smooth caramel should be achieved!
- Now for the Brownie. Preheat the oven to 170 degrees. Grease and line a 23cm square tin.
- Place the butter and chocolate in a bowl and put on top of a pan of boiling water. Leave to melt completely. Then leave on the side to cool slightly
- In another bowl, place all the remaining ingredients and whisk all together.
- Pour the butter and chocolate mix into the combined ingredients and whisk together.
- Pour half of the mixture into the prepared tin. Then pour over 3/4 of the caramel, swirling it through the mixture, then pour the remaining mixture on top, and repeat with the rest of the caramel.
- Place in the oven and bake for 20-25 mins. It should still be soft in the middle but a crust should formed.
- Leave to cool on a wire rack. Although tempting, make sure to cool completely before cutting!