Crumbles are one of those desserts which are hard not to like. A staple for any family dinner or sweet dessert. It’s definitely a crowd pleaser! Rhubarb is in season at the moment, and it is such a great ingredient to make a crumble with. The addition of the apple adds a bit of sweetness to the fruit mix as well as is a match made in heaven with rhubarb!
What is great about this recipe is that you can switch to any fruit that you may have. The fruit just needs to be firm enough so that it doesn’t turn to mush when baked. Here are some examples of good fruit for crumbles:
You will need a medium ovenproof dish
For the Crumble:
250g Plain Flour
160g Butter, cubed
100g Demerara Sugar
60g Light Brown Sugar
2 tsp. Cinnamon
For the Filling:
2 tbsp. Sugar
`To serve, Custard, Ice cream or Creme Fraiche.
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees celsius (fan).
- In a bowl, place all the ingredients for the crumble and using your fingers, rub together until the butter is mixed together and resembles breadcrumbs.
- Chop the fruit into small/medium chunks and place into the oven proof dish. Sprinkle the caster sugar over the fruit and mix well.
- Add the crumble to the top of the fruit and bake in the preheated oven for 45-50 minutes. Until golden brown.
- Serve immediately. With ice cream, custard or creme fraiche or all of them!