Another recipe to celebrate Britain’s best fruit. The Strawberry! This Strawberry and Cream Swiss roll is summer in a mouthful. It is so light and fluffy with lashings of sweet strawberry cream and jam. So delicious! I’ve used my strawberry jam recipe for the filling, so I recommend you check it out.
WHAT INGREDIENTS DO I NEED?
- Caster Sugar
- Vanilla Extract
- Plain Flour
- Baking Powder
- Strawberries or Strawberry puree
- Strawberry Jam
- Double Cream
The sponge is a fatless egg based sponge so the trick is to make sure the eggs are whipped fully and you don’t over fold the flour into the mixture. Once you’ve got the right recipe for a Swiss roll and knowing the best tips and tricks you will be all set! The best news is, is that you’ve got it all right here!
TIPS AND TRICKS!
- Make sure to whip the eggs and sugar for at least 5 minutes. It needs to be really light and fluffy. It is called the ‘ribbon stage’ this means when you lift the whisk out of the mixture it will leave a ribbon like mark on the surface of the mix and slowly disappear.
- When folding in the flour to the mix, DON’T OVER MIX! Gently fold the flour into the mix so you don’t lose the air in the sponge.
- Lining the tray is really important. Make sure to grease the tray, line the tray with baking paper and then grease the paper. This will ensure the sponge will come off the paper easily.
- When rolling the sponge, roll the sponge on a clean tea towel dusted with icing sugar. This will help the sponge to roll up easily and not get stuck on the paper.
- Leave the rolled sponge to cool completely before adding the cream, otherwise it will melt!
You will need a 9×13 inch tray
For the Sponge:
3 Medium Eggs
10g Sunflower Oil
1 tsp. Vanilla Extract
75g Plain Flour
3/4tsp. Baking Powder
For the Cream:
200ml Double Cream
80g Strawberry Puree
100g Strawberry Jam (see recipe)
Strawberries to decorate
- Grease and Line your tray with baking paper, then grease the paper also. This will make sure the sponge doesn’t stick so make sure to take the time to do this step.
- Preheat the oven to 160 degrees celsius (fan). In the bowl of a free standing mixer or using an electric whisk, whisk together the eggs, sugar, vanilla and oil together until pale and fluffy. It should take around 5 minutes. It’s so important to achieve a very fluffy mixture, so your sponge is lovely and light.
- Fold in the Flour, Baking Powder and Salt very lightly, until only just incorporated. Pour onto the prepared tray, spreading evenly across the tray, bake in the oven for 10-12 minutes until lightly golden brown.
- Once out of the oven, flip onto a tea towel lightly dusted with icing sugar or caster sugar. Leave to cool slightly for 1-2 minutes. Then carefully roll up the sponge using the shorter side. Use the tea towel to help roll the sponge. Leave to cool completely.
- Now to make the cream. Whisk together the strawberry puree and cream until stiff peaks. If you don’t have strawberry puree, you can blend fresh strawberries into a puree and sieve out the seeds. This will work just as well!
- Now for the assembly. Gently unroll the sponge. Spread over a thin layer of jam. Then spread 3/4 of the cream over the top of the jam, making sure to leave some for the top.
- Re-roll the sponge up again tightly and chill in the fridge for a couple hours before serving.
- Before serving, decorate with the remaining cream and fresh strawberries.
- Store in an airtight container and it will keep for a couple days!